I’m a bit slow getting this post written. I made these brownies over a week ago, but life has been getting busier and busier with the run up to exams. In fact, this will probably be my last post for a good month as my weekends get bogged down with revision. However, it’s a good recipe to end on as it’s easy to make and wickedly chocolatey. These brownies are stuffed full of chocolate: a generous amount of 70% dark chocolate melted into the batter, some dark chocolate chips, and a drizzle of white chocolate on top.
So if you’re looking for a recipe to break up the revision, then this is a great one. Plus then you’ll have the added bonus of having the brownies to eat afterwards. Baking is a very productive form of procrastination!
Dark Chocolate Hazelnut Brownies
Makes around 24 pieces, one 9″x13″ tin
- 350g 70% dark chocolate
- 250g unsalted butter
- 6 eggs
- 400g white sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 200g flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 150g hazelnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 100g dark chocolate chips
- 30-50g white chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 175C/350F. Butter a 9″x13″ baking tin and line with baking parchment (the butter helps the baking parchment stick).
- Melt the butter and chocolate in a medium bowl either over a water bath or in the microwave, stirring frequently. Set aside.
- Using a wire whisk, beat the sugar, eggs and vanilla together until thick and frothy. The mixture should easily coat the back of a spoon.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture and gently fold together. The mixture should become thick and glossy.
- Sift in the flour and salt and stir just until combined. Do not over mix.
- Reserve a small handful of both the chocolate chips and hazelnuts. Gently mix in the remainder of the chocolate chips and hazelnuts into the batter.
- Spread evenly into the prepared baking tin and bake for ~25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out with a few moist crumbs.
- Let cool for around 15 minutes before topping with the remaining hazelnuts and chocolate chips. You may need to lightly press the hazelnuts in to the brownies so that they stick. Let cool completely.
- Melt the white chocolate in the microwave and drizzle over the cooled brownies. Let the white chocolate set completely before serving.