I wish I could be sorry I’ve done this to you. I know how hard we’ve worked – all those morning jogs, the many days of aching abs trying to get a “bikini bod”, eating salads for lunch… We’ve really tried to make it work. It’s not you, it’s me. I’m afraid I just can’t keep my promises and I hope you’ll accept me for who I am: an incurable chocolate addict.
P.S. For the record, you get a “bikini bod” simply by putting on a bikini! ;)
These bars are possibly the most delicious, indulgent treat I’ve made in a while. They’re a variation on a type of cookie bar that I made around Christmas time back in 2011. How do you make chocolate chip cookie cheesecake bars better? Simple, you add melted chocolate to the cheesecake and make triple chocolate chip cookie cheesecake bars. A friend of mine asked me today what made them “triple” chocolate. Well, here is your answer: there are two types of chocolate chunks in the cookie part (white and milk chocolate) and the cheesecake has melted chocolate in it too. I think if I added any more chocolate to this recipe my brain would explode.
I baked these for less time than the original recipe suggested and I love the results. They’re much fudgier and gooier than the original, so if you’d like your treats to be a little firmer, feel free to extend the baking time for another 5-10 minutes (just remember to keep checking on them!). These bars are so over the top good. I adore the soft, chewy cookie part with the white and milk chocolate chunks. Topping it with a layer of chocolate cheesecake is just divine. DIVINE.
If you are on a diet, I suggest you leave now. Don’t look at the recipe; you’ll just be tormenting yourself. To everyone else: please try making these sometime. You will not regret it and you may even make a few new friends along the way. ;)
Triple Chocolate Chip Cookie Cheesecake Bars
makes 35 (9″x13″ tray)
best served chilled
- 250g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 200g light brown sugar
- 115g granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar (trust me!)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 200g all-purpose flour
- 300g white/milk chocolate, chopped into chunks
- 225g cream cheese, at room temperature
- 100g plain chocolate
- 115g sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350F/175C. Grease a 9″x13″ baking tin then line with grease proof paper (the butter helps it stick to the tin).
- Using an electric handmixer, in large bowl, cream the butter, both sugars, vanilla and vinegar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Beat in the egg until well combined.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, salt and baking soda. With the mixer on low, gradually add the flour mixture and beat just until incorporated. Stir in the chocolate chunks.
- Press two-thirds of the dough into an even layer over the bottom of the prepared pan (I found it easiest to use my fingers to do that). Set aside the other third of the dough.
- Melt the chocolate either over a bain marie or in the microwave.
- In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese and melted chocolate on medium until smooth and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add the sugar, egg and vanilla and beat just until incorporated.
- Pour the cream cheese mixture over the cookie dough layer in the bottom of the pan and spread to the edges. Use the other third of the cookie dough (that you set aside earlier) to top the cream cheese. The easiest way to do that is to grab pieces and flatten them into discs between your hands then place them around the cream cheese layer.The cream cheese layer doesn’t have to be fully covered.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the top is brown and cooked through (the bars will begin to pull away from the sides of the pan slightly). Transfer the pan to a wire rack and cool to room temperature then store in the refrigerator.
- Cut up into 35 pieces and enjoy. Best kept chilled.