If you’re searching for the perfect Easter treat, your hunt is over. These are some of the tastiest, over the top, indulgent brownies I’ve ever made. They are the fudgey brownie. Topped off with white chocolate icing and filled with mini-eggs, these might be my favourite brownies ever.
I used the Green & Black brownies recipe as a base. It is my go to brownie recipe, although I haven’t made brownies in quite a few months. It also seems to be the most popular recipe on my blog and I’m not surprised considering just how freaking delicious those brownies are.
The white chocolate icing was very much made up. I’m sorry the milk measurements are so vague — truthfully I didn’t really measure when I was making it. I just kept adding milk by the tablespoon until I was happy with the consistency. But this icing is fantastic. It’s light creamy flavour contrasts marvellously with the robust dark cocoa flavour of the brownies.
As an aside for those who don’t already know, I’m back in St Andrews at the moment! :D Despite the weather, I managed to battle my way through the elements back up to windy Scotland. It has snowed every single day I’ve been here so far. ;_; I’ve been eating my way around the town, visiting all my favourite cafes, cheap eats, and pubs. I’ll be posting about all my gastronomic excesses very soon, but for now here is a sneak peak…
Happy Easter and happy baking!
Mini-Egg Brownies With White Chocolate Icing
- 300g unsalted butter
- 300g dark chocolate (minimum 60%, broken into pieces)
- 5 large eggs (I used medium eggs and it turned out fine!)
- 400g sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 200g plain/all purpose flour
- 360g mini-eggs – reserve 20 or so eggs, lightly crush the rest of them using a rolling pin (if you’re clever) or a wine bottle (if you’re not so clever – like me!)
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Prepare a 9×13″ pan by lining it with lightly buttered baking parchment (a trick – butter the pan as well so the parchment paper sticks to the bottom of the pan).
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a bowl over a pot of simmering water. Be sure that the bottom of the bowl is not touching the water. When completely melted set aside to cool slightly.
- Beat eggs, sugar, and vanilla extract together until thick and cream. The mixture should coat the back of a spoon. I did this with a fork as I couldn’t find the electric mixer in my friend’s kitchen!
- Fold the butter/chocolate mixture into the egg/sugar mixture. As you mix it, it should gradually become thicker and glossier.
- Sift together the flour and salt and gently fold into the chocolate mixture. Stir in the crushed mini-eggs.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 20-30 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted into the centre comes out with a few moist crumbs. Remove from oven and cool completely on a metal rack.
- Once cool, either slice and eat just like that or top with white chocolate icing for an even more indulgent treat. Makes 20 massive wonderfully fudgey brownies.
White Chocolate Icing
- 50g unsalted butter, softened
- 200g white chocolate, chopped
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 250g icing sugar
- 100-150ml milk
- Cream together the butter and 2/3 of the icing sugar, adding the vanilla and milk as necessary. It’s important to gradually add the icing sugar if you don’t want every single surface in your kitchen to be covered in a fine coating of the stuff.
- Melt the white chocolate in a bowl over a pot of simmering water. Once the chocolate is melted, gradually beat into the butter/icing sugar mixture. Add the rest of the icing sugar and more milk until the desired consistency is reached. It’s a bit of guess work, but you want your icing to be smooth and fluffy.
- Spread the icing over the brownies using a spatula. Top with the reserved mini eggs and cut into 20 large squares. Enjoy!