Let me start out by saying these muffins are amazing! Sorry — no modesty on this one. These are without a doubt the best banana muffins/cake/bread/whatever I have ever made. I always have problems with banana bread – it’s too gooey in the centre but burnt on the outside. Baking these as little wee muffins solves that issue and they’re done in 20 minutes! And the texture is perfect — not too cakey but not dry or gooey.
Now, what else sets these muffins apart? For a start, they are crammed full of big chocolate chunks — delicious cold but even better slightly warm and melted. Secondly, they have a strong sweet banana flavour. I added a dash of banana extract and it really strengthened the intensity of the banana. Nom. Lastly, just before baking a crumb topping of brown sugar, flour and butter is sprinkled on top. It is a sheer delight to bite through the crispy sweet topping before sinking your teeth into the soft banana and chocolate muffin that waits beneath. I could go on and on about these muffins.
The only thing is that these muffins are probably best eaten on the day they are made. Also, the original recipe says that it makes 10 muffins, however, I stretched out the batter over 12 muffin cups. So it’s up to you. :) But either way, you won’t be disappointed.
So without further ado, Banana Chocolate Chunk Muffins with Crumb Topping!
Banana Chocolate Chunk Muffins with Crumb Topping
makes 10-12 muffins
adapted from Allrecipes.com
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 bananas, mashed
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2-1 tsp banana extract (optional)
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 200g plain chocolate, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease 10-12 muffin cups, or line with muffin papers.
- In a large bowl, mix together 1 1/2 cups flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add chocolate chunks and mix.
- In another bowl, beat together bananas, sugar, egg, vanilla and banana extracts and melted butter. Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened – ie between 15-20 strokes with a spatula by hand. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
- In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar and 2 tablespoons flour. Cut in 1 tablespoon butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Sprinkle topping over muffins.
- Bake in preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.